Viper's Bugloss

I first uncovered Viper's bugloss (Echium vulgare) a few years back (sad isn't it?) by accident when I saw this marvellous blue thing on the grass verge beside the cycle path I was plying. I stopped and got down on my knees for a closer look (a behaviour encouraged by my botanist friend not by my school teachers or parents). I was amazed at how vibrant it was (and hairy) and how the insects loved it. Everytime I passed this little guy (all on his own in spite of being an 'invasive weed') I would stop and 'converse' in silence for a few minutes while I ate my blueberries and drank some water. And I soon formed a map of the strath that was informed by flowers and flowing. You had Viper's bugloss over here, Hellborine orchids over there, wild cornflowers in there. I realised as a cyclist and walker and someone who now eschews transport and the act of being carried (as if I were dead) that I too was one of them: a flower who flows according to the dictates not of man and his filthy earth-destroying machines but of the uni-verse and of the 'one who pours'. People have just forgotten how to be flowers having been waylaid by the machine, its toxins, and the brain-damage that comes with it. So, by all mean, get back on your own two feet (and into your own two hemispheres), and become the flower, Viper's bugloss or other.




No comments:

Post a Comment