The Kilpatrick Brae Buzzards


The Kilpatrick braes are a quiet place to be.  That is, if you go during the week, and manage to get off the Loch Humphrey path (which is more like Sauchiehall Street on the weekend). 

Indeed, when I come up here, maybe twice a week or so, by train and bicycle - locomoting and locating - I feel that I have more in common with the buzzards or ravens up here than I do with my fellow man. My fellow man no longer locomotes, no longer locates, no longer taps in to the spirit of a place because of his existential stabilisers (dog, pram, phone, car) that blind him to it. My fellow man no longer walks, he is carried. He no longer sees, he looks at. He no longer thinks, but is thought.

As such, he stays on the path of convention, and can no longer appreciate the pathless land.

These birds, on the other hand, all they have is the pathless, all they have is seeing...

There are benefits to be had from getting off the beaten path.








No comments:

Post a Comment