The South Bank Show: The Unminced Word

In the spirit of John the Baptist (whose birthday anniversary it was yesterday, Monday 28th June), what better place to baptize the congregation than beside the river, a few more chapters and verses from the voice of the one crying in the wilderness. Indeed, I only found out today (Sunday 27th), courtesy of Radio 3s choral evensong that it was the eve of JBs birthday. At that moment a light pierced my brain for I had doubts about starting a new work so soon after the last. But the bridge (the canvas) has been cleaned and painted which is what I was waiting for. And I finished my last piece (Memos from the End Zone) at the end of March so it's time to re-Mind. And of course, having asked the big chief to present it some time back (to which big chief said yes), I thought o myself, this is a sign. I have no choice. And then I thought back to an episode of OZ I watched the other day where Sister Peter-Marie asks the simple-minded ('brain-damaged') Cyril O'Reilly whether or not he believes in God. To which he titters and tells the sister that it's a silly question. Sister Pete asks him why. And Cyril replies, 'Well, you don't choose God. God chooses you.'

And then you realise that God has chosen everyone, except most people are so confused by the industrial realm and a work that desecrates (the land, each other, the animals) that they just can't know it. 

So, here we are, beside the river once again, preaching the word of 'God', the word of 'Nature', the word of the One crying in the wilderness...











No comments:

Post a Comment