The Seagull Mafia

Seagulls are terrific! They have a terrifying capacity to them that we know all too well when they're hungry or when their new borns are hungry. I have had a couple of seagulls nesting on the rooftop opposite my desk for almost a decade now so I am familiar with their behaviour. At any rate, seagulls are quite territorial and like to return to the same nesting site year in year out. Which brings me to my point. Yesterday, at Old Kilpatrick a seagull could be seen nesting on the chimney top of the old station house. So what, you ask. Well, this particularly chimney top is home to a family of kafkas (jackdaws to you and me) who have been living there for a long time. This morning the kafkas (seven of them) were foraging as usual around and about their home but they did seem a little put off. And I started wondering if the gulls had muscled the kafkas out of their home forcibly. It's difficult to say, but I would be surprised if the jackdaws had given up their home to these seagulls voluntarily. I will pop back later in the week to see if the gulls are still there. But I'm guessing they won't be, that a barney will have broken out between the jackdaws and the gulls, and that will be that. Seven against two (no matter how big you are) is always a question of arithmetic. Watch this space!





No comments:

Post a Comment