The Tantrum Thrower

Alas! Some people are just a menace to street artists. Like a demented canine they cannot let it go. They've taken my art too personally and forgotten that it's art. Like this twat who accosted me as I started painting today, threatening me with the police and then asking me what I am protesting about. It was this latter point that irked me. I asked him if he was blind and/or illiterate, or if he was perhaps retarded. He didn't take it well. I told him to stay back because twice he dismounted from his bicycle as if he wanted to physically attack me and/or perform a citizen's arrest. I told him that if he approached within a metre of my body I would defend myself, which, I added, would invariably mean hurting him and/or dowsing him with shock red spray paint. He got back on his bike and waddled off. I could see him at the other end of the bridge trying to convince the security guards of the Hydro precinct (where Cop 26 will be held) to stop me. Meanwhile, a family of three of their bicycles on their way to Pollok Park stopped to commend me on my work. In fact, in the time the trantrum thrower took to get his mummy and daddy to tell me off half a dozen or so people had stopped to offer their thanks for the 'education and entertainment'. This I told to the two police women (girls really) who arrived at the behest of the tantrum thrower who had evidently phoned them as he had promised. I had a very pleasant conversation with the police officers who seemed to enjoy the art I had just put up. They reminded me that it was public property and that it was illegal to deface it, but they did this in such a diplomatic and sensitive way that it never even seemed like a reprimand. Indeed, they seemed more interested in the tantrum thrower who was still throwing tantrums as I cycled off into the sunset thanking the police officers for their 'undertstanding' and promising (ahem) not to do it again... Alas! Some people are just a menace to street artists.










No comments:

Post a Comment